Friday, July 23, 2010

Beginnings of the McIntyre and Gaddy's from North and South Carolina.

I had recently begun the genealogy research for my husband's family for my children. I have always looked upon Genealogy as a big puzzle, you put together a family's unit piece by piece! It is a fascinating discovery to learn things about your ancestors that you never even imagine, sometimes you discover good things about the person they were, and sometimes you discover the skeletons! Nevertheless, you are "getting to know" your family, as if they were living here with you today!

The McIntyre Family research is a bit of a challenge, as in all genealogy, you are often researching people who generation after generation will change their name, age, locations and even race! The census reports used for research are sometimes inconsistent because the name of the family member is written down often how it sounds, not as it is spelled. The fact that the census report for a generation is only released after 72 years, for privacy measures, the furthest census report to date is 1930 Federal Census which was released in 2002.

This research to me was important for my children,  not only in generational aspect, but embracing their culture and race on both sides, both  Black/white. I have met the most amazing people along this search, and I am a better person, researcher, mom, and friend because of it.

This is to you, my babies!

Traci Pollard

2 comments:

Search This Blog

Popular Posts